What is a NIE number and who needs one?
NIE or Número de Identificatión de Extranjero, is a foreigner's identification number in Spain.
All resident and non-resident foreigners with financial affairs in Spain - regardless of whether they are EU citizens or from a non-EU country - must have a foreigner´s identification number or NIE Número de Identificación de Extranjero.
Anyone with financial, professional or social interests in Spain needs a personal identification number. The NIE is essential for any transactions in Spain where money is paid to the Spanish inland revenue office. The NIE number should be quoted in all dealings with tax authorities. The number appears on all documents issued in Spain.
A NIE number is required for the following:
- Open a bank account
- Buy, sell or insure property
- Arrange credit terms or a mortgage
- Pay taxes
- Be paid for employment
- Use short-term employment agencies
- Apply for a business permit and start a business
- Register with social services and arrange receipt of social security benefits
- Apply for a driver's licence
To facilitate the process, we will apply for a NIE number on behalf of our clients who wish to purchase or rent through Costa Brava Immobiliaria – one of the many value add services we offer.